View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 low end power, limit top speed

Without changing your gear ratio in your transaxle, you will be limited to clutching mods and belt change. A heavier spring in the driven clutch will help to prevent upshift, keeping you in "low gear" for longer. The beauty of the CVT system is that it is "load sensing". So it will constantly shift the clutches to maintain the engine in the "power band" so to speak. Your throttle position will have a lot to do with the ground speed of the cart, but the CVT has the ultimate say so in where the gearing needs to be. Yes a wider belt will give you a little bit lower take off gear ratio, but it will likely drag on the drive clutch and want to surge forward while starting. It can be done, but I don't know if you need to go that far.

Here's what I would do:

1. Install new clutch kit
2. Install new belt, proper size for the clutches
3. Tune the engine up so you are sure you are getting max power
4. Give it some good test runs.

I had a stock Yamaha G1 with the little 215cc 2 stroke engine. I had the engine running perfect, and installed the "Plowman's Performance Clutch Kit" as well as the "Plowman's Hot Setup" for more power. I can tell you that I was able to crawl up some of the steepest hills in Southern Ohio with that setup. With a load (a 200 lb passenger) it would slow down up the hills, but it would still go. I would say my ground speed was in the 8-10 mph range. Rpm was probably in the 3000 rpm range.

Your ground speed up those hills under load will be determined by the gear ratios of the clutches, the clutch spring, the powerband of the engine, and the position of the throttle plate on the carb. With so many variables you'll need to get some data first. Make some test runs with your tachometer and gps and record rpm and speed up the hill. Report back and we'll see where you're at.

Andy
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote