View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #17
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1981 Lithium conversion possible?

I did not get a new go pedal. While I wanted to build the cart the way I wanted it, I did want to keep some of the old, original parts, so that stayed.

Here's a description of the shunt (better than I could have described it):

"Club Car’s Power Drive is a Series Motor System, on the market from 1990 and up. On the golf carts built in the years 1990 – 1994, the controller used a 0 to 5K potentiometer (36 Volt). In the years 1995 and up, they used 5K to 0 potentiometers (48 Volt).

A shunt motor system is also known as a Regen and referred to as a Sepex (Separately Excited). DCS (Drive Controller System) was in use 1995-1999 and was the first shunt-wound motor system. It was controlled by a DCS Controller. This motor did not have a sensor and the controller did not count RPM’s. In 2000 the PDS (Precision Drive System) controller was introduced along with the Regenerative braking, and the motor has a speed sensor and cable to interact with the speed controller.

A Series motor has no speed sensor. It is a completely different circuitry from the shunt system, even with the older shunt-wound models’ lack of a speed sensor".
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote