Thread: Extra Battery
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Extra Battery

I agree with Scubabud IF you want a voltage reducer? Go with a FULL PACK VOLTAGE REDUCER.
You have not mentioned other things like sound systems and radios and recorders that become common as after thoughts on golf cars.
What isnt mentioned is the problems that are associated with this set up.
Power sensative items like radio, amps and players do not like variations of voltage that occur whenever you step down on pedal, and high and low wattage lights as well but to a lesser amount. Lights dimming out under heavy foot action is also common.
Then there is the problem of picking up brush noise from motors that can stop the use of FM?
I have solved most of these problems by using a separate battery. I use an extra handicapped scooter deep cycle battery that is small enough to even be put in glove box as its only 71/4"X51/2"X 71/2" and can be put in any position as its a sealed battery. Then when radio was installed I added a marine antenna so that its less able to pick up motor sounds.
This setup for my use only requires charging twice a month and in my case is hooked up so when key is off the system is also dead. This makes sure that I dont forget to turn it off.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote