View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 72v vs 48v lithium setups?

You can easily get more than your requested 30+ miles of range at 48v or 72v.

As for max speed, I limit my 48v carts speed currently. With my lift and setup it feels fine up to about 24/25mph even though it can do 34mph before it reaches the motor max rpm.

That's what set my cart's max speed, max safe motor rpm (6,000) and how twitchy it gets at speed. What is your motor max RPM? Do you have high speed gears in the diff? Most golf cart motors have a 6k safe limit, beyond that you are on borrowed time. Is your motor an aftermarket one with high speed banding to allow for greater speeds?

Using the speed calculator (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php) you can plug in your motor max RPM, tire diameter and axle ratio and see what your theoretical top speed is.

As for 48v vs 72v you can do either. Both have plenty of accessories available. There are far more 48v options out there for accessories/batteries/controllers/motors than 72v but both absolutely exist. If you are at your max speed currently then either lithium pack will do the same for you. 150ah 48v pack is the same number of cells in a different configuration than the 100ah 72v pack. So if both options were available from the same manufacturer I'd expect the prices to be similar. In reality the 72V will likely be a little more expensive while also being slightly more efficient. A 100ah 72v pack will have far more range than a 100ah 48v pack but for apples to apples (and price to price) it's 150ah48v to 100ah72v. Wild guess (assuming no extra drag issues) is you will probably around 60 miles of range on a 150ah48v or 100ah72v pack. Probably around 40 miles on 100ah48v. Driving habits and driven speed affect this greatly. My range is incredible if I stick to 19mph and is pretty good if I roll at 27mph.

You asked if there is any reason to consider 48v lithium but the other question, "is there any reason to consider 72v lithium", is just as valid. But in order to help either way we need to know what you want from your cart really. Do you actually want 50mph? Do you want 30 miles of range while traveling 50mph or when going that far do you normally travel slower? Are you willing to replace the motor or put in high speed gears in the diff? Is your cart very stable at it's max speed today?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote