View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Reversing switch or contactor?

I first tried my pallet truck contactor on 24 volts and measured the current draw, it was just under 900 Ma. Ohm's Law tells me that I need a resistor of about 15 ohms and it has to handle 10 or 12 watts of power. A quick search turned up power resistors on Amazon, a 15 ohm, 25-watt resistor was less than $4.00, so I ordered 2. Took a couple of weeks, but they arrived, and NO shipping charges.

Disclosure: I have no connection to Amazon other than being an occasional customer.

The resistor is wired in series with the common connection on the contactor coils, so 1 resistor serves both coils. All the wiring on my cart has been done by using the diagrams in the Curtis 1204/1205 manual.

BTW: I've found a couple of electric pallet trucks in the scrapyard, and SOME have a Curtis controller rated at 24-36 volts, so will work in a 36-volt golf cart. You'll still need the speed control pot, of course. If you're wanting to change an old resistor cart to a controller, it's a cheap way to go. Also, some of the pallet trucks use very heavy cables, so grab them while you're at it.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote