View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Air box/governer questions

Turn the key off, pull the rubber up behind pedals at seat, lift rear of panel and get rubber past pedals as you lift/pull back/push pedal down to clear. I think its a 10mm wrench for nuts on cable. You can only go so far and the rubber boot on the cable bunches up and the end comes loose on the pedal. You might be able to bend/etc the ends on the carb cable to get a little more out it if you have to, but leave a little free travel from click to when carb starts to open or its a pain to drive. In that area you can set the idle screw (not the jet, the ilde way at top of carb) to make it idle. If you do make it idle just barely faster than the generator turns it. Idle jet goes 1.25 to 1.5 turns out usually.

That muffler/sound attenuator thing just lifts out of the airbox with cover off IIRC maybe there was a bolt in it or something. I just left the square hole open. I tried other things but ends up I don't think anything in the main part of the box under the cover slows it down.

Clutches if you want to do it all take that cover off the primary (engine) clutch. If screws you might need a $5 impact driver like used on motorcyles dont strip them. Get a can of brake clean, I do this every year or two. Spray the weights and links and the center bushing, spray inside the spring on the secondary clutch. Grease the fittings on both some secondaries don't have one its near the ramps. Only put 1-2 pumps in there or when it comes out if cover off, you don't want it flying around or getting on the belt, clean up any extra, about one-two pumps a year is good. Then get some super lube (synthetic) or a good chain lube and put just a little on the pins for the links and weights where they move. Yami says no but I don't see much dirt inside that cover and my cart gets really dusty, and chain or synth lube does not attract much dirt. Clean off any extra lube and put it back together, cover has a notch at the grease fitting. The secondary if no grease zerk then put some grease on the shaft under the spring somehow, twist the inner sheave to move it in and spread it. Check the plastic pucks on the ramps replace if needed, ramps need to be smooth. Thats about it, it should run nicer if they were dirty or dry. If your clutches are worn the aluminum sheaves will be dished in from belt wear, they don't shift as good eventually wear holes in them. The secondary I can tell you how to get off if needed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote