View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
I haven't ever taken a golf cart hub apart but I have done it on plenty of trailer hubs and wagon and rear wheel drive auto hubs.

Pull off the wheel and then pry off the center cap. You will see a big castle nut. Straighten the cotter pin that keeps the nut from working loose and then remove the nut. The hub should pull straight off the shaft. The bearings can only go in one direction- just inspect the rollers and races (the flat part the rollers roll on) for rust and large pits. On a golf cart you could just clean them up a little if there are some minor pits, repack them with grease( rub grease into all of the spaces between the rollers) and resinstall. Don't tighten the nut up very tight, the hub should spin easily with a tiny amount of play when you reinstall the cotter key. If you tighten the nut too tight, the hub will be hard to spin- just back off some if you get it too tight.
Im gonna add to this. Just make sure you have plenty of grease in between all the rollers. When you go to tight the nut up you want to seat the bearing. What i mean by that is you tighten the nut snug then back off about a 1/2 a turn or so til it spins a turn and a half by itself. Hopefully this makes sense. That how i do car wheel bearing and never had a problem.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote