View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
dtjim
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G9 airflow problem

Thanks for the reply Ya when I say went through the carb I meant thoroughly cleaned all passages with torch cleaners and bottle brushes and compressed air check float level etc but the carb was also extremely clean when I took it apart so didnt take much.

I dont understand it but I siliconed everything on the air box sealed it up nice and tight and now it runs great. Apparently having the airbox hooked up allows more air into the engine/lets it breathe better than having an open carb. This is really strange.

I've been a mechanic for 25 years and my dad for probably 50 we were both baffled by this. I've seen where an engine might run a little better with an air filter hooked up but have never seen an engine that didnt get enough air without the filter to the point it had to be choked to run at all. Either that airbox lets the engine breathe better or maybe without it the air moves too fast through the carb and the air isn't getting pulled through the jets properly. I dont have a ton of experience with small engines but I do have a good bit and this is weird. I really think there should be a sticky explaining that these engines must have a tightly sealed box and what happens if they dont. Through searches on here I have seen people with the same headache but none have them had followed up to say what cured the problem
dtjim is offline   Reply With Quote