View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
tonymarshall
Not Yet Wild

Default CC IQ speed sensor questions

I live on a 500 acre island in the US Virgin Islands, where carts are the most common form of personal transportation. I own two CC 48v electric IQ carts, a 2003 Villager 4 bought new in 12/02 and still running strong, and an '07 reman Gold standard 4 passenger. The '03 has the snap in sensor (GE motor, I believe) and the '07 has a bolt on sensor (ADC motor, I believe). The carts are in storage during the summer, with batteries disconnected. Once a month the batteries are reconnected and charged, watered, and disconnected again. This winter when I rolled the '07 out it would not run in reverse without shuddering and cutting out, unless I gave it the full pedal. Forward speed topped out at the famous 8 mph, and downhill the cart freewheeled. Because I maintain these carts myself as well as helping other owners, I have an IQDM, and it said speed sensor fault as you might expect. I know I must replace the speed sensor, which I have heard is an expensive part, but I suspect CC buys it from another manufacturer, so I am asking what is the smart way to acquire a replacement sensor? I can't seem to find them on the internet. Also, does anyone have an idea what I might have done to blow the sensor, or is it just an act of God? And finally, I have read that there is a magnet attached to the motor armature which has been suspected in some cases - is this a separate part and repair procedure, or does the sensor come with a new magnet as a kit? I am hoping that one of the expert professionals on the forum will answer my questions - for which I will be very grateful.
tonymarshall is offline   Reply With Quote