View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 97 TXT 295cc - Tried EVERYTHING - still backfiring and no power!!!

Unsure of exact year, but I know its a '95-'98 model EZ GO TXT with a 295cc Robin EH29C

No matter what I do, the motor bogs down, backfires through the carb & won't move once the engine is under a load when the clutch grabs the drive belt. I can eventually get it up to full throttle in neutral, but when in gear, it barely has enough power to get moving & once I do get it rolling it doesn't seem to want to get up to top speed or full throttle even going downhill.

Below is a list of things I have done already:

Set & re-set the valves about 15 times (both engine hot & cold) at .004", and eventually replaced the valves, springs, and valve seats. (Yes, I properly lapped the valves before installation)

double checked the timing marks (according to the manual, I should line up the key on the cranckshaft with the timing mark, but my model also had what appears to be a timing mark on the cog as well. Do I line up the key or the dot?)

rebuilt the carb twice - it's still spitting fuel out the front of the carb & backfiring. It seems like it may be flooding itself out, but the carb is clean, float is set & there are virtually no adjustments to adjust the fuel air mixture.

replaced the spark plugs with factory recommended plugs

Ignitor, coils & control module are all brand new & I have confirmed that they are producing a big fat blue spark, so I know it's not an ignition issue.

performed compression test on both cylinders - #1 is at 155lbs & #2 is at 144lbs.

I know these engines at a real bear to get right & it's usually an issue with the valves, but I have done everything to spec & still can't get the results I'm looking for. Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or haven't tried yet?
stonekn is offline   Reply With Quote