View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

Hi all,
I bought an 87 EzGo Marathon from a buddy last November. It barely ran when I purchased it. After doing research on this and other golf cart forums, I determined that it was time for a rebuild. I watched an engine rebuild video on YouTube and figured that it looked simple enough. It couldn't be anymore difficult than rebuilding the LT1 in my 96 Impala so I purchased a rebuild kit for my 2 stroke 295cc EZGO Robin engine that included the cylinder, piston head, rings, and gaskets.

I reassembled the engine with the new components and was happy that it was so simple to do. I also decided to go ahead and replace the fuel pump, carb gaskets, and reed valve gaskets.

Before the rebuild, my engine only had 60psi of compression at wide open throttle. After the rebuild it has 117psi of compression and holds it over night. I installed a new plug and checked for spark by grounding it to the engine. The spark is sufficient. The oil pump has been deleted and I used mixed gasoline.The engine fired up after about ten seconds of starting.

I took the cart out for a run and was somewhat disappointed that it was not moving very quickly. Top speed of about 7-10 mph. I then pulled the clutch covers off and thoroughly cleaned out the insides of both clutches. Both clutches move/expand very nicely now.

However, for some reason the engine hardly runs now and spits/sputters/pops out of the exhaust. I have cleaned the carb out, but it wasn't really that dirty since the last time I did it. I did not find the jets in the carburetor though. Cleaning the jets is the last thing I know to try.

I have new crank seals for the engine, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the old ones to remove and replace...It seems that all of the engine's electrical functions/components are in tact and working, but the engine still runs like crap.

What else do I need to do?
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote