View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #44
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Found my perfect lithium pack!

[quote=PingEye3;1810998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolagt View Post
Interesting, that is not what they told me about the temps.[/QUOTE

Who is 'they'? 'They' always seem to know more than anyone else.
One of the two guys at Extreme (Blake and another guy the name escapes me at the moment) I have been chatting with them on FB messenger and they both have replied at one point or another. Maybe misunderstanding on my part. I asked how do they perform in cold weather like 30s and 40s and they said no issues good down to 4F.

I assumed no issues like no lowering of capacity or anything. Guess they still do...just not as bad as a led acid?

This is off of the Relion website. So they do suffer some but not near as bad as led acid according to them. Could Extreams charger & BMS setup allow for sub-freezing charging? I didn't ask them about charging at or below 32.

Quote:
Lithium iron phosphate batteries can be safely discharged over a wide range of temperatures, typically from –20°C to 60°C, which makes them practical for use in all-weather conditions faced by many potentially cold temperature applications including RVs and off-grid solar. In fact, lithium-ion batteries have much better performance at colder temperatures than lead-acid batteries. At 0°C, for example, a lead-acid battery’s capacity is reduced by up to 50%, while a lithium iron phosphate battery suffers only a 10% loss at the same temperature.

The Challenge of Low-Temperature Lithium Charging

When it comes to recharging lithium-ion batteries, however, there’s one hard and fast rule: to prevent irreversible damage to the battery, don’t charge them when the temperature falls below freezing (0°C or 32°F) without reducing the charge current. Unless your battery management system (BMS) communicates with your charger, and the charger has the ability to react to the data provided, this can be difficult to do.
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote