View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha G16 gas cart overcharging!

Golf carts are usually used for very short distance and require a lot of starts with no much running. Such a use must be very hard on the battery and I suppose to compensate, their regulator permits a higher voltage.

Having a totally different way of using my cart, when I had to change my voltage regulator, I decided not to order the electronic version but the old one (Hitachi for G1-G9) which can be adjusted by a screw inside. Protecting my accessories (radio, LED, lights, phone charger, etc...) was a must!

This being said, these regulators we see everywhere look like the Hitachi but ARE NOT ADJUSTABLE!. I contacted so much suppliers and only one had it (www.golfcartcare.com, not a supporter of the site but... it is information). For me it was really important to find it!

It is not really easy to adjust: with or without the cover, the voltage is different... so it requires several tries until all is nice. Actually I am in the 13.7/14.0V with very short moments at 14.5 which is very acceptable.

Funny enough, it is at this time I wanted to be able to monitor the voltage while "en route" and not only for seconds at home. A small project with an arduino nano, it finished with plenty other detectors added to the voltage such cylinder fin temperature, air shroud temperature, external temperature, RPM, etc... sent by Bluetooth to my phone. I made a dash application recording all data while on way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2633hd.jpg (2.1 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote