View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default You have to tool the Throttle Shaft a bit

The first picture shows how the new bushing does not fit onto the Throttle Shaft. So it was off to the bench grinder. The Throttle Shaft is made from brass so I just kissed the grinding wheel to knock an edge off (I am pointing at the edge with a screwdriver). Really, using a bench grinder on a brass shaft is akin to putting in thumb tacks with a 2lb sledge. You don't need the grinder. Just get a small fine file and tool the shaft until the bushing slides on. I ended up taking a little off of each side of the flat part of the shaft. Go really easy filing the Throttle Shaft. You cannot put it back on once you file it off. Once you can get the bushing past the flat, you will be in good shape.

You will need to flare the end of the bushing a bit before it will slide on. I used a regular old nail punch to flare the small end. In the picture (from left to right): rubber piece that fits on the bottom of the shaft, old slotted bushing, new non-flared bushing, Flared bushing. The bushing on the nail punch flared alright, but I buggered up the top a bit so I saved it to crimp on some ground wires one day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle Shaft Kiss.jpg (250.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bushing Flare.jpg (332.6 KB, 0 views)
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote