View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: How many horsepower do I need?

Don is quite correct. Almost every off the shelf aftermarket engine will be CCW rotation. Therefore, you will be compromising your forward speed through the axle ratio but all is not lost. You can hop up the forward speed with some fairly simple modifications to bring it back to something close to standard performance but as with everything it comes with a price; the engine will be revving higher which will naturally wear it out faster for one thing but provided you are sensible that is not necessarily to much of an issue. Standard engines are "choked" back to an amazing degree in the interests of reliability and longevity and can easily withstand an additional 1000 rpms or so which will bring your cart right back to around standard performance levels.
The information and your options are jaw dropping on this site. Cruise around and you will be amazed at what folks are doing. I, myself am currently converting a FWD electric cart to RWD gasoline power and that's nothing compared to some other projects that people have going on. Don't be discouraged, It's been done or is being done in all four corners of the globe.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote