View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #10
Canuck12345
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G16 low end power, limit top speed

Hello folk's, I am dragging out an old post to show the objective I am tring to achieve and the great advise I have been given by the more experienced cart wrencher's so far.

My objective to is limit the speed of the cart to run as slow as possible. It will only ever be used to crawl up a steep rocky path to a cottage and then back down. Having the belt engaged between the clutches provides good engine braking going down hill and stops the cart from running away at high speeds by coasting (when the clutches are disengaged). At this point to keep the clutches engaged going downhill we hold the brake and throttle at the same time to engage the driven clutch. Of course this doesn't work well as the secondary will start to open and the cart will pick up more speed than desired. I'm thinking if the secondary won't open, a bit of throttle is all that will be needed to keep the clutches engaged and better limit the speed.

So far I have added a heavier secondary spring and clutch kit to provide more resistance to the opening of the driven clutch. It has helped, but given the clutch opens at all causes the cart to have reduced power and higher speeds than we desire.

The cost of gearing the cart down is big bucks and beyond the budget.

My latest idea (maybe a crazy one), is to mechanically prevent the driven clutch from opening at all by locking the sheaves together with a dyi bracket drilled and tapped into the center hubs of the clutch.

Here is my question. If I am able to make up a bracket that locks the hub/sheaves from opening at all, will the forces of the drive clutch closing on the belt cause other issues?
Will the forces break the driven clutch, or any fab'd brackets made up to lock it closed?

I know the cart will rev to the governor limit setting and this is a good thing providing the the rest of the drive can handle the stress of the driven trying to open against the locked secondary.

I have a few G16's that will have this same requirement so I'm wiling to make an investment in parts/machining costs for this experiment as required.

Hope this explanation make sense so I can get some experienced opinions on the feasibility of the concept.

Appreciate any opinions on how to achieve this.
Canuck12345 is offline   Reply With Quote