View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
jhornbr225
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starting my EZGO Marathon Lithium build.

I got a few things done on the build the other day.

The contractor came and built a wall down the middle of the garage, and braced the south wall so it won't lean out at the top any more than it already is, so now I feel that it won't collapse with me inside

I installed the new motor. What was supposed to be a quick easy task took a little longer than expected. For some reason the bolt circle wasn't quite the same size as my original motor. I could get two bolts in, but not the third. I tried rolling it around to all the possibilities. (A little difficult with the handle on the Plum Quick.) Finally I decided to just enlarge one of the holes on the axle, as it was just a few thousandths of an inch off. I covered the shaft going into the transaxle, and drilled one of the holes just slightly larger.

I then played with the placing of the existing metal bracket that holds all the original stuff, and where to mount the new stuff.

I'm moving the bracket over to the driver's side of the cart, due to the placement of the batteries and the location of the throttle linkage. I'm moving the throttle potentiometer box and it's linkage to the outside of the bracket as opposed to the inside. I'm mounting the Alltrax on the inside of the bracket, facing forward, with the fan towards the ground. That will leave be space on the backside of the bracket to mount both contactors. The main contactor down low, and the reversing contactor up high. Two of the mounting holes in the Alltrax will be drilled through the mounting bracket so that the reversing contactor can mount directly to the bracket on the backside of those holes. I'll have to space out the throttle linkage to meet up with the existing throttle rod coming back from the pedal. I'm sure it will all make more sense once I get it installed and take a picture.

I ran over to the local Bolt and Nut House yesterday and picked up hardware. I was almost out of 1/4-20 nyloc nuts, and didn't have right bolt lengths to mount this stuff anyway.

I may be going into overkill, but I've ordered the parts for an emitter follower voltage regulator. I'm a little worried since the max voltage of the pack can go as high as 58.8V. I really only plan to charge to 56.7V, but I don't want to overvolt the coils in the contactors. I've ordered a 51V Zener and an MJE3055T transistor. Those components, along with a resistor, should hold my voltage at 50.3V for the contactors, which is +4.7% of the contactor rated voltage. The MJE3055's are 10A, so that should be plenty of amps. I've also decided not to add all the parts for Sergio's Over/Under voltage protection, as his circuit uses 3 relays, two of which are related to having an on-board charger, which I don't have. So I only need one relay. I'll put the parts for my voltage regulator in the box with my BMS and that one relay.
jhornbr225 is offline   Reply With Quote