Thread: O-I_C
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #2017
chelmuth
Not Yet Wild

Default O-I_C

For those of you who have Lithium Golf carts be very aware!!

6 Months ago I rebuilt a club car ds that we had been using at our business that my dad owns for the last 8 years and converted it to lithium cart using Big Battery Batteries with a Navitas 700kw kit, been working great for the last 6 months until disaster struck last night.

I finished work a bit late so I was in a hurry and parked the Gem cart that I had been using directly behind the club car, walked past the club car and noticed the voltage meter was showing 57 volts [it's a 48volt cart with a maximum voltage of 51 volts] I instantly thought oh boy somethings wrong and was planning on unplugging it when my brother who was with me said, oh its been doing that a long time. Just 3 weeks prior the old charger went bad because it got wet and burned out I got the correct charger for it and had charged it up multiple times just to double check that there wouldn't be any issues, went to 51volts like it was supposed to, I then returned it to service and it had been working the last 3 weeks like that.
My brother told me its been doing that every time it charges and when you unplug it it drops back down to the correct voltage I assumed it was just a bad reading... until it wasn't

16 fire trucks and absolute destruction.

So when I sat down and tried to figure out what happened this is the best thing I could come up with...

This charger that I was using was not a ip65 rated charger and the location were at is extremely dusty and and muddy when it rains, the grounds guy that used the golf cart the most just set the charger on the back little step on the cart and left it there then when he wanted to charge it he would just plug it in to a outlet, due to it being so dusty I think it messed something up in the charger and didn't stop charging.

Here is the link to the footage https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...213849&o=OneUp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (212.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0160.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RemoteMediaFile_8126536_0_2022_05_18_20_47_50.jpg (207.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0953.jpg (228.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.jpg (207.9 KB, 0 views)
chelmuth is offline   Reply With Quote