View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Project, I'm addicted :o

Hi I am new to this site. I Purchased a 1989 G1 about 2 weeks ago for 80 dollars, and ive been messing with it everyday as soon as I get home till I go to sleep, lol.. The guy who sold it to me thought it didnt run, and hes a mechanic, I got it running in 1 night, hehe, just cleaned the carb out real good.
____
It is missing some parts that I need badly to get it running right. The most important peice is the top to the airbox and the clips and everything, for some reason someone put a dish sponge in the air filters place and left the top of the box off...... making it run lean, and tbh I dont really wanna drive it without it getting clean air into the motor with a proper air fuel mixture.

I know alot of people with G1s switch to a k&n filter and dont use the stock box anymore, I was wondering if I can purchase one from someone if anyone has one they are not using? Or maybe have another way i can ghetto rig the filter I just bought? I was gonna go with the k&n and get a bigger jet but for now I want to get it stock as far as fuel and air go. I already have a tune up kit otw for it, filter, plug, fuel filter, and filter prefoam.

I live in Peachtree City and I wanna take her out like.. everyday, the golf cart paths are very fun to cruise.
____
Couple problems with it:

It bogs up hill, I think I have it figured out with the air box thing but not sure. Compression is 100(tested with 2 different gauges). The belt is a little worn out but Im ordering the Power Kit from ccp with the sheave and belt tomorrow,

I am having trouble starting it after I stop driving, warm or cold. It push starts though.. Im thinking its a problem with the air mix, when the cart is moving though, it Moves, about 21mph maybe 22mph on flat ground. What can be some other reasons for the starting issue? By the way the choke cable wasnt attached and its not stock and binds a little bit, a new one should be at my house today. Im still able to choke it though, after I reattached it of course. :P
____
When I got it I drained the fuel and replaced it. I still have to check the drive clutch for debris and whatnot but im doing that soon, Im sure thats not a big issue for me.. I also screwed the gov screw in all the way, prob will bypass it if I can get her goin good. Id like to see 25mph maybe 26mph stock, I think I can do eet!
____
If anyone could help with these problems I would appreciate it sooooooo much. I'm like a crack addict with this cart Im a Auto Mechanic but im Brand Spankin new to 2 strokes, I have already read a TON of threads about g1s which has helped tremendously! I love this forum!

I will post pics of Shelly(yep, her name is Shelly) when I get home tonight, shes not bad lookin :)

Thank you ahead of time,
Garrett
Mrrogers24 is offline   Reply With Quote