View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Converting to Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
It is the factory reject from 2012. The first two model years Nissan had a design flaw in the chemistry. Nissan found itself with a huge amount of warranty claims particularly in the southern warmer states. They discovered the formula the manufacture used was sensitive to heat, and packs were failing right and left. They had the manufacture make the adjustments which appeared in model year 2013. All the packs Nissan had in inventory were sold to recover some of the losses they incurred. DIY EV shops bought the defective packs, tore them apart, removed the modules, and sell them. So yeah they can claim they are NEW, but they are not telling you the modules are factory rejects.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but that is what is going on with them. The Leaf modules are exclusive Nissan. The public cannot buy the modules themselves. You can only buy the full pack from an authorized dealer, must have a pack to trade in, and own a Leaf.

The only other way I know to get around it is do what Sportcoupe did by buying a whole pack from a salvage yard when a Leaf comes in that has been totaled out. First thing the salvage yard does is pull the packs out because they know they are valuable and will turn an instant profit as they are worth a few thousand dollars. Pretty sue Sportcoupe has a thread about his build where he bought a pack at a Salavage yard, tore it apart to harvest the modules and reused in his cart.
I haven't had any problems with the ones I bought and when you buy them from Hybrid Auto Center, they also fabricate a harness to connect all the modules in series so install is easy and quick. I've put about 60 full rounds of golf on mine with no loss in run time (in fact, I don't know if it is the battery chemistry or what, but my cart actually has about 25% more run time now then it did for the first month or so). This was a lot cheaper than the other Lithium options and in my opinion worth it. My last 2 sets of Trojan T105's were only lasting about 2 years (with good maintenance) before they really started to lose juice.
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote