View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: My G14 Experience in Modding

I think its great when people mod carts, whatever engine. Its my experience the cam is the largest factor holding the stock engines back plus poor flow through the head. Unless you change gearing or tire size, you need more rpm to get more speed. Some have ported the head and welded them back up (where they ported out the side).

I would tell anyone to put a clone in if they want power, but rpm is about the same far as top speed unless you do gears or larger tires like 25 or better which are difficult on some yamaha. But its some work putting it in you need to fab up a lot of stuff, the plumbing itself is hard enough. It will do a donut from a dead stop, toss a huge rooster off one tire in dirt, has around twice the power I'd guess. But it shuts down at speed and runs around the 30gps my G9 will do it just gets there much faster. The block/head/carb is completely stock on this one aside from no governor, so more rpm might be had with some mods which I plan to do when I put one in mine. I'd say its doing around 5K rpm.

The clone is cheap as dirt, but a v-twin is larger and will rev higher they do 6K no problem with a cheap rev kit, have more power yet and cost a lot more new. The clone you really need a flywheel, rod, cam, springs to get more power and rpm. It might have more power than a stock v-twin but possibly the same money by then. This was the 420cc.

On the other hand if you mod a stock engine you don't have to fabricate a bunch of stuff, its a lot less work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote