View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Cool G1 Outer Rear Axle Bearing Replacement

The whole outer rear axle bearing thing has been making me a little crazy these last few days. I've heard of welded spacers, welded bearings, welded sleeves on one side and not the other and other things as well. I also read that those bearings come with the axle and the whole thing comes as a unit. None of this made much sense to me. In the 70s I worked as a bike mechanic for both Yamaha and Honda, if there is one thing I know, its that those folks don't make things work they over engineer. That being said I'm going to offer up my opinion and also what worked for me. OPINION: If you have an axle with spot welds, spacers, welded bearings or anything like that it did not come from the factory that way. OPINION: All G1 axles are alike from the factory. If you look at the pictures you see 2 axles as they came from the factory, one with a new bearing! OPINION: There is no difference of any kind between driver and passenger side. Can you imagine a factory forman in Japan telling someone "If it doesn't fit just tac a little steel on there and move it along". Holy Sushi Tojo, his whole family would have had to flee the island!!!!!!
WHAT WORKED FOR ME: The original bearing was a KOYO 6205RS, I cross referenced and purchased an equivelent SKS bearing.1. The axle was then put in a bearing press with a slight amount of pressure on the axle and the bearing on a steel simple fixture. 2. Heat the retaining collar. No need to turn it red just heat it slowly and the pressure on the axle will do the work. You'll see it move or hear it "pop" 3. When it moves crank the press down and reomove the collar and bearing at the same time 4. Quench the hot collar and return it to room temp. 5. Reverse the process, install the bearing and then the collar. You may have to heat the collar to get it back on, use welders gloves.
Just my opinion and what worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle 002.jpg (111.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle2 002.jpg (150.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle2 001.jpg (162.7 KB, 0 views)
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote