View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
mjribeiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Carryall 272 locking transaxle in a DS

I've taken over Bulky's locking transaxle project. As we know the rear is wider than one from a stock DS. The tubes are thicker too, but we will get to that soon enough.

The first part to tackle is the stock spring perches. They are approximately 3/4" too wide for the DS. They also incorporate a frame snubber mount. Here is a picture of the standard axle tube and mounts:

OEMMounts.jpg

Bulky had the great idea of welding new perches to the top of the axle and having the axle mount under the leaf springs instead of over. I already had a Jakes LT kit on the cart, so I already had a flipped, stock axle with extra height from aluminum blocks. When I compared the finished height of the two solutions, the new perches would have lost an inch or so of height compared to where I was. Plus mounting the new perches on top would have put them close enough to the brake bracket to make welding them a pain. I decided to cut off the stock perches and slide them over a bit, reusing the aluminum blocks.

The new axle housings are thicker though, by 3/8". The blocks would not fit over the carryall tubes. Using a router table and a carbide bit I was able to CAREFULLY machine the blocks to fit.
Block1.jpg

They fit tight now!!!!
block2.jpg

For comparison, here is what they look like on a stock DS tube (after the machining is done)

Block3.jpg

More to follow!
mjribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote