View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tow/Run switch and solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgo - N View Post
JohnnieB I appreciate the information! I'm in the process of making up another diode now and I'm going to give it another go.
Would there have been any concern from damaging the controller when the diode melted down or did it sacrifice before this was able to happen?
Probably not. The capacitors are connected between the B- and the B+ buss bars which are designed to carry at least 500A in an XCT48500-PDS, but it would be best to check with Alltrax.

Be sure to have the banded end of the new diode connected to the solenoid's battery side large terminal.

FWIW: The purpose of the regen diode is protect the controller if the solenoid contacts open while regen braking is occurring. During regen braking the motor acts as a generator and the resulting electrical energy is fed back into the battery pack. When the solenoid contacts are closed, the battery pack keeps the voltage down to whatever the pack voltage is at the time, but if the contacts open, the voltage output from the motor (generator) skyrockets and the controller can get hit with a lot more than the 62V it is designed to tolerate. The diode keeps the motor's generated output connected to the battery pack in case the solenoid contacts open.

Turning the key off while slowing down will open the solenoid contacts during regen braking and so will certain wires breaking, but for the most part, it is a rare event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT-PDS with regen diode.jpg (213.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote