View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter01 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I opened the charger to look at its internals and all the black wires go to a block that has a fuse that is visible thru a glass window on the front of charger and the white goes to a block with other white wires attached to it. Two replies were white is (+) and one reply is for black is (+). I'm kind of confused on why the black wire if it is the (-) why it would be fused. I appreciate the input
Some of the confusion is due to people speaking about the color of wire used in AC wiring and others speaking about the color of wire used in DC wiring, plus the mystical reference to a "Positive" wire in AC wiring.

In 120VAC wiring the is no Positive or Negative, only "Hot", Neutral and Ground.

Neutral (aka the identified conductor) is White.
Ground is either Green or Green with Yellow stripe.
Hot is typically Black, but can be any color other than White, Green , Green with Yellow stripe.

However, inside the case of an electrical device, the color code isn't always followed.

The last time I read NFPA-70 (The National Electric Code), which was prior to my retirement five years ago, the was no color code for 2 wire, ungrounded DC circuits, however by tradition Black is Negative and Positive is typically Red or White.

Attached are schematics for what I suspect your charger is. The first has two wires in the output and the second has a third wire for external battery sensing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote