View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What type lithium would I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
I'm wondering how much, if any, torque or speed difference or range difference I would notice if I went with Volt 48V vs. 58 leaf as compared to my FLA batts.
The guy on ebay is selling 12 Chevy Volt Cells in a pack, they come from the factory like that and it's an easy sell.

I run 14 Chevy Volt cells in my cart, full charge would be 58.8v but I limit my charge to 57.6v as my personal max and typically charge to 56.6v. I'll just call it 58v after this, but you know what I'm saying. Also, I have my Alltrax set to cut off at 45.5v.

You can use VOLT cells like this, I have a 48v module and 24v module connected together then I ran the cables from one end for positive and from the 14th cell for neg. That leaves 4 cells left over that I use as my 12v accessory power. It requires a little out-of-the-box thinking to make the electrical connections, but it works. You can see my cart setup in my sig. I have two sets of these in my cart, so I have around 94ah capacity.

As for difference between 50.4v and 58v, it's pretty big... But that is comparing 50.4v FLA to 58v lithium so it would have been a big diff anyway. But think about it like this, the lead acid you have usable range of 50.4v down to 48v whereas in a 14 cell lithium you have a useable range of 58v down to 42v and in a 12 cell lithium you have from 50v down to 36v. Even with a 400 lb weight loss you won't like your cart at 36V if you are used to 48v speeds...

If you are going to hassle yourself with a lithium conversion then I would recommend you consider a 14 cell pack...

My stock Curtis controller ran fine on 57.6v, but I only ran it a month before switching to Alltrax. I've no idea if 57.6v would eventually kill the stock controller. The torque diff was astounding. At the time I had half the pack I do now, so 47ah and 58v. You'll see it tick off 0.1v on a fairly regular basis, but remember you have a much wider range of V that works for lith. I needed the extra capacity for a Christmas parade that I pull a float in, so I doubled the pack for that.

Last thing, put a fuse on it. Fuses are cheap, fire is expensive.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote