View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1999 Gas EZGO High Speed Gear install 8:1

Ok, I haven't seen anything that really goes through what you will encounter while installing high speed gears in a pre-MCI era gas EZGO. Figured I would post a thread on the install. If I miss something, or if you see something I am off base on, please share for me, and for future builders doing high speed gears.

First, purchased 8:1 gears, plan is to run a stock Predator 670 with a lift and 25 or 26" tires, relatively low RPM, and lots of torque, so the gears should help get some speed out of the cart. Currently, installed the gears and the motor in an unlifted TXT. I know, you can't install the 670 in an unlifted cart. Can't Shmant...I'm doing it. Not gonna have clearance for the seat, and the shift lever needs to move, but its possible for a temporary condition while I am waiting on the lift to show up.
20200829_082123.jpg

First, get the driven clutch off. Take the center bolt and washer out, then slide the clutch off. It is on a spline shaft. Mine was stuck...I used a 2x4 and a BFH (2 lb Hammer) up against the hub of the driven clutch and tapped it....well, hit it pretty good and off it came. Stay on the heavy part of the hub of the clutch...don't want to break it.
Attachment 208203

Get the cart up in the air on jacks so you can get under it.

First, drain the diff oil...there is a drain bolt on the bottom, should be pretty easy to find. Next, get the motor mount off. Unbolt the two u-bolts from the axle, and take out the bolt at the front of the transaxle bracket and it should drop out.
20200829_082144.jpg

Next, remove the brake cables from each side. The manual describes it pretty good, just push the "E" clips off the cable ends, pull the spring back, and slide the cable through the slot in the cable bracket. Super simple.
20200829_092701.jpg

Disconnect the bottom shock nuts from the shock posts, remove the bolts at the ends of the leaf springs, and take the nut off the gear change input shaft. Transaxle should come out at this point. Take off the passenger side tire, and stand the axle up on the end of the driver side wheel and tire.
20200829_095503.jpg

Remove the brake drum....again, mine was stuck. Used a 3 arm gear puller, came off very easy.
20200829_100538.jpg

Unbolt the brake back plate from the axle tube and set it aside.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote