View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Default G2/G9 Twins I've Inherited - Non-running

Hi folks...
I have just inherited two, non-running G2/G9 Yamaha gas, golf carts.

Backstory:
Dad traded for these 2 carts about 10 years ago. They sometimes work, sometimes don't over the years. He's ...shall we say ... 'frugal'... and takes them to his buds at the lawnmower repair place.
Sometimes they have someone to work on them that knows what they were doing. Often, they are just making do.

The one person (about 5 years ago), that was a ranch/farm hand whom I paid to look at them said, in his opinion after tearing down each of the engines:
- 1 engine was shot, very worn piston and had already been oversized ...had been poorly treated - engine needed replacement
- other engine needed new rings and to be bored slightly larger or replace the engine
- both carts had the typical airbox that wouldn't seal because the tab/clips on the side of the lid were busted

I've replaced a starter in 1 of them, plugs in each of them, cleaned out the fuel bowl in each of them, recovered the seat on 1 of them, etc. etc. Mainly simple or superficial tasks.

Eventually, both carts quit running.

Goal
I have my own place, quite a few acres.
I'd like transportation for my tools and me (chainsaws to shovels).
I'd like to ride over to check on the goats, to the barn for a bale of hay, back over to the garden, up to check the mail, back to the house.
I don't need a 700hp, super lift, oversized tire godzilla.

Advice I'm Looking For
Is there a cost-effective engine replacement I could pursue?
I can weld and fabricate or trade for those services if need be.
I've replaced a/c compressor and water pump on the F350 dually, replaced the starter on the Chevy 4x4, and am currently rehabbing a 1963 Jeep Willys Pickup.
By no means a professional, but I can follow directions and keep track of tools and fasteners as I work through projects.
I'd like the carts to run properly.
I have a Mahindra tractor with front bucket, so I can lift the engines in and out.

I can provide pictures, cart id numbers, etc. ...
Reading through the 'big block' section provides great info but its all overkill for my purposes.
Sifting through web searches gives me too many false hits.
Spending 2,000 a cart for an engine in each cart is too much money

Dad (79) no longer has the mental acuity nor desire to help.

Could someone take pity on this poor soul?
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote