Thread: 1980 club car
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1980 club car

This thread is bringing back a lot of memories for me so pardon me if I ramble a bit. The 79 Caroche was my first serious experimental cart after playing with 72V on a Taylor Dunn. The Caroche became 72V and was able to do doughnuts in the dirt then I wanted more so I went to 96 volts. Six 12V batteries in the normal trays with two in the bagwell. Now I am hooked, it would accelerate hard to just over 40 MPH. It would spin tires in the dirt on demand and at partial throttle. Then I went 120V with modified battery trays, eight batteries under the seat and two in the bagwell. I could spin the tires on pavement unless the cart hooked in which case it would pull the front wheels off the ground. Then the comm thing which is posted in the other area and hence the new motor. With all conditions good I topped out at 55 MPH but I could hit 50 MPH any time. Somewhere here I think there is a video of the tail end of my red Caroche smoking a set of Hoosier slicks.

168V was done with fourteen UPS batteries under the seat, those 18 Ah jobs that weigh 13.5 lbs each. Not much capacity but what a fun four miles then charge time, I used a motor I wound myself on this voltage.

Caroche carts can be fun but it was a lot of work and I learned a LOT during those times.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote