View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 1994 Yamaha G9 exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPERCART2013 View Post
For what it's worth one of the most common problems with these Carts is the ignitor goes bad. If you look at my first picture there is a little black box under The fuel pump both screwed to the fuel tank. Your symptoms may be due to the bad ignitor. sometimes malfunction when hot! If you have access to a spark tester you can eliminate the ignitor until you can get the exhaust off. parts store has spark tester for around$10
I agree totally with this! Sounds like failing ignitor (ignition box). As for the TCI suggestion, it's true, but only applies to G16 and newer carts, yours doesn't have a TCI. While checking the fins is a good idea, I bet the ignitor is failing, and reducing spark timing badly when hot. That "failing ignitor" causes fuel to be ignited a little late, and a super hot exhaust system. Seen it many times before. Can be detected with a timing light, if you want to make your own timing marks on clutch & engine block. (Removing clutch later for service ruins that "timing mark", clutch has moved).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote