View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #5018
porthole
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What did you do to/for your EZGO today?

EZ-GO changes. Over the last several days finally got to install some upgrades.
  1. Replaced all battery cables. A buddy scored some battery cable for his cart, sent me what was left  All new 2 AWG marine grade cable. Had few pieces of 1AWG lying around so battery to controller and battery to disconnect are 1 AWG. My cables are all crimped and adhesive line heat shrink
  2. 300 amp fuse added to 36v+ terminal
  3. Remote activated battery disconnect switch. Battery switch remote is in the glove box. Will allow total disconnect of the batteries. Except for the remote switch’s 12 volt activation circuit (only a load when activated) and the battery charger input.
  4. EVDrives contactor and reversing solenoids. Didn’t know where to put them so I made up some aluminum mounting plates and put them right where the old switch was.
  5. Scotty’s key switch panel with battery meter, switch added to meter to check 12 volt side. The switch is a SPDT, always on for 36v and momentary on for 12v
  6. Recessed headlights installed (already had tail lights)
  7. 36v-12v converter added. Already think the item I got is not up to the task. Only a 200 watt-18 amp unit. It is only a 3 wire converter. So it is being fed from the main battery pack through the key switch, which is a rather light gauge wire. With the lights on the converter voltage drops to 11.5 volts. Seems the better units have an adjustable voltage output and 4 wires, which II assume is for remote activation.
  8. Most 12 volt wiring redone
  9. All battery and other wiring that was replaced is all marine grade Ancor silver tinned wire. I’m a boater so that is what I have laying around the house. Helps to have a commercial account at West Marine too and the nearest store is only 3 miles away.
  10. 6 circuit “push in” fuse block for all 12v wiring in glove box
  11. Wood grain dash
  12. Crager SS hub caps
  13. Rear view mirrors
  14. LED 3rd brake light
  15. End of last season added a folding rear seat for my dogs, they love riding on the cart.

Besides West Marine, http://www.pacergroup.net/ is an excellent affordable supply for wire, terminal and heat shrink

Always thought about buying these tools – should have done it already
http://www.cableorganizer.com/loom-tool/

BTW, there is nothing wrong with the old F&R manual switch, if someone can use it is yours for the price of postage. Probably about $6-$7 for the CONUS.

So I paid too much for the cart, put way too much time and money into it, guess I’ll just keep it forever.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote