View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Melex 252 Electrical Concern

If you keep your eye out in our for sale section and ebay you can find a good used series controller for cheap. ($150 ish maybe or even less) A curtis PB-6 throttle potentiometer will be needed to control speed. (shop around...can be had for around $60)

You could make the resistor type controls work good but your going to have to make SURE everything is working properly.....the same thing can be said for an electronic control. The series type electronic control is a simple system....most people understand it better than the old resistor systems.

The resistor system has cons. The same amount of power is being used at half throttle as full speed. The extra power is burned of as heat in the resistor coils. (you can start a grass fire or your kids could burn their hands. Mine did. LOL!) With an electronic controller thats not the case, you will also gain some run time.

As far as a conversion, IMO the hardest part will be mounting the throttle pot and hooking up any linkage you may need. If you have minor fabricating skills you can do this easily....just use your imagination. The next hardest will be mounting the controller. There are a few companies that sell a conversion kit for an ezgo. Your melex should be a direct copy of an ezgo of the same era. They were ezgo clones back then. Ezgo parts will interchange but I am not sure about the conversion parts because I have converted a melex. IMO you can peice it together cheaper unless you don't have the skills to do it yourself.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote