View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
flipture
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger stops charging after around 30 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Batteries 3 thru 6 are not anywhere near charged and the battery pack is imbalanced.
If you can lay your hands on 6V charger, give the batteries some individual charging to better balance the pack and then use the 36V charger to charge the pack to its max capacity.

1. 6.35 = 98% = -5AH
2. 6.34 = 96% = -9AH
3. 6.20 = 73% = -61AH
4. 6.25 = 80% = -45AH
5. 6.27 = 84% = -36AH
6. 6.28 = 85% = -34AH

To estimate how long to charge each battery with the 6V charger, divide the AH in the last column by the 6V charger's output amps and double it.

For example: If the 6V charger put out 10A, B1 needs about an hour and B3 needs a bit over 12 hours.
Total time needed for all six batteries is about 38 Hours.

------------
Powerwise makes a lot of different charger models, which charger do you have?
If it weighs about 25 pounds and has an ammeter, it is on of the older (and better) ones.
When it first comes on, the ammeter should climb into the 15A-20A range, stay there for a few minutes and then start tapering off.
The 36V battery pack's On-Charge voltage should climb into the 44V to 46V range before charger shuts off.

----------
The gassing (bubbling) is normal and electrolyte bubbling out through the vented caps typically indicates the cells were overfilled.

----------
Poor performance may be due to weak batteries or it may be due to high resistance in the high current drive circuit.

If you had some that were bad, they probably all need to be replaced. A PDS cart has 10 high current cables and a series cart has 12.
Replacement cables should be 4Ga or heavier.
Awesome info! I'm seeing if I can get my hands on a 6V charger. That leaves me with a few more questions tho...

1) Would you expect batteries with these voltages to be able to power a cart enough to get it up a hill and drive around normally? I'm wondering if the poor performance is actually from the batteries or the drive circuit. Should I test voltage while under load to pinpoint the problem? I've cleaned some of the contacts on the drive circuit that were nasty. When I first got the cart I could smell a burning smell after a short drive coming from (i believe) the drive circuit. I could feel heat coming from the wires which I know is caused by resistance. This is why I looked closer, found the bad wires and replaced any that I didn't feel were in good condition. I did use 4G wires and soldered the ends on... Now there is no burning smell and the wires and drive circuit does not seem to be getting hot which is a good improvement. If not the battery voltage test under load, then maybe test resistance between points on the drive circuit?

2) Can you give me any details on what requirements I would need in a 6V charger? It might be nice to get one that does 12v and 6v so I can use it in the future on my cars...

3) The charger is one of the old ones I believe. The model number is "28115 G01". Its heavy as crap :).

Would something like this be sufficent?
NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive

4) Awesome, good to know about the gassing. I did read that it was normal but wanted to make sure as the little bits of water leaking out worried me... Seems its been regular for this cart as the battery tray metal is extremely corroded and eaten away. I'm tempted to weld up a new one before I sell it... I would hate to sell it in that condition.

Think anyone would be interested in picking up a new tray if I welded up a couple of extras while I was at it? I could do aluminum or steel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Can you try this charger on another cart to see if it stays on for normal 5-8 hour charge? If yes, then the problem may be worn contacts in the cart charger receptacle.
I don't know of any other carts I could try it on unfortunately... Have you seen bad receptacle contacts cause chargers to stop charging early? All of the cases that I've read with bad receptacle's either wouldn't charge, or clicked on and off quickly.
flipture is offline   Reply With Quote