View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
keithf
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v to 12v converter - what to do with the 12v negative wire?

Hi Experts, I need your help please.

I am trying to add a 12 volt converter to my golf cart and don't know what to do with the 12v negative wire - let me explain.

The converter is a SUPERNIGHT -
Amazon.com: GOLF CART voltage reducer converter 48V to 12V 10A 120W: Home Improvement Amazon.com: GOLF CART voltage reducer converter 48V to 12V 10A 120W: Home Improvement

I have a 2004 "Electric I.Q. Golf Car, 48 Volt Regen" per the serial number sticky - thanks! It has six 8 volt batteries.

I see the 48 volt positive and negative wires going to the batteries. I know I need to connect the positive and negative 48v wires of the converter to these respectively - I am ok with connecting this side of the converter.

I see a yellow wire coming off the + side of the 2nd battery from the negative 48 volt side of the cart. I know I need to remove this from the battery, and connect this to the positive 12v lead from the converter. I am ok with this.

What do I do with the negative 12v lead from the converter? Should I put it on the negative 48 volt side of the cart too? That would mean I am joining the negative wires of the converter together - is that ok?

Thank you! Keith.
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote