View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
RUDEINC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Belt/Clutch Issues

Ok, here is an update, or should I say different specs and new info.

1st....Removed old belt, and both the inner and outter sheeves close together as they should to form a "V".

2nd....Cleaned spring, helix, ramp shoes and entire area with contact cleaner (I get it from work) and put 2 pumps of Lithium grease into the zerk fitting.

3rd....took belt and pulled it back and forth between the sheeves to open and close clutch and lube spring.

4th....put belt back on...and.....same results...ok new approach.

5th....take belt back off and re-measure belt width with it off the cart.

6th...find out that my first measurements were slightly off...lol

7th...Belt should be 1 1/4" wide, well it's only 1 1/16 wide on the top and tapers down to 7/8" on the underside where the ribbed area is.

8th....get cloth tape and measure what length belt should be according to procedure here.... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...-mounting.html and I come up with 46 1/2" from the center of the primary clutch to the outer edge of the outer sheeve.

9th....The specs on the belt that is currently on there are: Length 46 1/4" long and 1 1/4" wide and according to the procedure listed above in step 8 you need to add 2 inches to that total right? So I would need a belt that measures around 48 1/2" to function correctly. Right?

10th....put belt back on and look in between the sheeves and see that they are about 1/4" apart now.

11th....Conclusion: I believe that not only is the belt worn beyond specs, but it is also too small for this application. Does this sound about right?

Any feedback greatly appreciated...Thanks
RUDEINC is offline   Reply With Quote