View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
mjjust
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12x7 cart Cragar SS wheels ... On a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixpack View Post
mjjust > Thanks for that answer !

The Cost part is a very interesting point.

Let's say that I do not want many modifications done to that car, appart from drop, but I need the right wheels.
I am still thinking about a 4 lug 13" automotive cragar, but that wheel is not produced anymore, and not that easy to find! Plus the 1" difference makes a big difference visually.
I have been looking everywhere for the right wheel, but could not find anything good with the desired 12" size, just minilites and trailer wheels...
I am ready to sweat blood and spend the needed money if this plan is possible. Just because it would look way better.

So first thing would be to check for the safety of that cragar cart steel wheel :

- My old car is not really quick, but that's 70 mph max. Way more than an average cart.
Looks like the strenght of that wheel is a top priority issue. Is the wheel a two piece welded on the rim. A one piece? I'll try to find out. Who knows, I might have a good surprise.

- The weight of my car is 1400 lbs . What is the weight of a big golf cart?

- narrowing the wheel. Let's consider I can find someone making good work with it!

Out of the box ideas like that are really appealing and having your advices helps a lot to get back on earth, thank you!
It's funny in a way to see someone actually wanting to use a smaller wheel on a car. Over here, it seems like everyone is trying to put the largest wheel possible on just about everything, even at the expense of handling, performance, and IMO, looks.

I would think that the wheel is at least a 2 piece, but I don't know off hand. The last thing I had the SS rims on was a 68 El Camino, but that was 15" wheels.

Wow, 1400 lbs is light for any car. Most electric carts come in at around 800-1000lbs I think, so you might not be too far off there.

As far as modifying the wheel, I'm not saying that it can't be done. Just make sure that who ever does it knows what they are doing. I've seen a modified alloy wheel fail on a motorcycle at speed, and it's not pretty. Granted, the margin of error is a lot smaller on a bike.

Sometimes when doing a project like this, the little details make or break it. Sometimes those little details come at a cost that doesn't make a lot of sense to others. If what you are wanting to do can be done safely, and you are willing to pay what it costs, then go for it. Give us some pics to drool over when your done.

Last edited by mjjust; 01-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Added content
mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote