View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 Only Runs with full choke and full Throttle

I just purchased a 1983 Yamaha G1 and it looks like it is pretty good shape. The problem is that it wouldn't start with out using starting fluid, so I took the carb off and cleaned it completely with carb cleaner including removing all the jets and adjustment screws and cleaned them making sure I could see daylight through each hole. Then I adjusted the float so it stops the flow when the float is just at level. Then I took the fuel pump off and took it apart and cleaned it out. Everything seems to work as it should. Then I put it all back together and set the mixture to 1 1/2 turns out. Then it started with the choke pulled out fully. I took it for a short ride and it has all kinds of power, but it only runs at full throttle and with the choke out all the way. I took the fuel line off and turned it over with the starter and only a little fuel came out. When it started and revved up a lot of fuel came out, so I assume the pump is working OK. I then ran a new fuel line from the fuel input of the carb to a extra gas can so the gas would flow by gravity into the carb. I wanted to see if it made any difference in the way it ran and it didn't. I had plugged the fuel line coming from the pump with a bolt and I did notice that gas was pushing out of the fuel line past the bolt so I think the fuel pump is working good since it seems to have enough pressure to push it's way out. I am at a loss as to why it won't run unless the choke is on and it only runs full out. If I let off of the gas to say half peddle it starts spitting and sputtering and then dies. By the way I did disconnect the black and white wire so it will idle. I did notice that if I hold the choke out I can let off of the gas pedal and it will stay running at it's fastest rpm's or at least as fast as the governor will let it. I have adjusted the mixture screw in and out to as little as a 1/2 a turn out to as much as 4 turns out without much change in the way it runs. Any help would very much be appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Tom
texastom1 is offline   Reply With Quote