View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Do people want programming cables made for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I've received a few PMs asking about making a programming cable for them and wanted to gauge the interest to see if there were enough people for me to actually make a bunch and list them on Amazon so people could just buy them.

To be clear on the cost if you decide you want a cable:
  • CANUSB - $120 - You have to buy this from canusb.com, I don't make it.
  • RS232 to molex (ICON golf cart) cable, I could make this and it would cost $20-25. That would leave me a $6-10 "profit" for beer and I'd just throw these on Amazon.

So I can make the cheap, $20'ish part, but you would still need to buy the expensive part. I would not bundle the two together because I'd just be buying a ton of those expensive parts and then some people would just buy, program, and return them to Amazon lol.

I would essentially be saving people the effort of buying the $42 in weird tools, extra crimp ends, extra molex, crimping stuff, wire, etc and that's it.

Here's how to make your own: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171601
I'm not endorsed by ATrain whatsoever (haha) but I made my own cable using a pair on needle nose pliers and it was a PITA. That molex tool isn't absolutely needed but would certainly make quick work of making the cable. I went through at least 8 connectors before I got it right. So....I would suggest having him do it unless you are in a huge hurry.

Just my two cents worth...
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote