View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
superclubmaker
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery smokes when charger is pluged in, Confused.

Ok, I am another newbie here with an issue, After reading many different wiring diagrams and many of the problems others have posted here, I thought I would post my situation.

I have a 1989 EZ go that had a 3 wire resistor system that I just switched out to a modern resistor that is one thick slinky. LOL, I just nailed my wealth of knowledge in terminology.

All connections to the resistor coil bolted up as they were before I took out the old one, I made sure that the coil stayed straight and all looks good there. The only thing different is I only had a #6 cable instead of a #4 going from the resistor to the motor. The old resistor used to get so hot it would melt the wires and I would be using a garden hose to cool it down.

Sometimes when I take the key out and step on the pedal it will move, is one issue. My main issue is that Battery #6 I believe got really hot when I plugged in the charger and smoke came out of it. I unplugged it after a minute, checked the fluid and it had started to boil. I added water and let the thing cool down. The next day I tried putting the charger on and it began to smoke again. So I disconnected the battery and got a reading of 5.96 volts on every battery. So I guess I am somewhat confused.

Also, the person that originally worked on it seems to have an extra Negative from battery #6 going to the frame. It was like that for years but after reading it seems that this wire shouldn't exist. When I remove that wire and test with the volt meeter I still have voltage to the frame.

So I guess I would like some advice, I am thinking of changing the one battery with another 6v just to see if I can attach the charger without blowing the cart up. Any thoughts? Solenoid? Micro switch? Dead battery? HELP.
superclubmaker is offline   Reply With Quote