View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #23
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Wiring to eliminate reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is it 24" rim diameter or 24" tire height?
If it is a 24" tire height being driven by a 2" diameter friction roller, you have a 12:1 gear ratio if the tooth count on the sprockets are the same.

That should give you 25 MPH when the motor is spinning at a whisper over 4200 RPM and standard speed series motors used in golf carts typically max out at about 3200 RPM with a 36V battery pack, so it might be a good idea to look for a high speed series motor if you are going to run at 36V, which is the max voltage for the 1204-009 controller.

Might want to look for a hybrid front bearing (Ceramic balls) since it will be within the magnetic fields produced by motor. (It will work fine with steel balls, just won't last as long due to eddy current erosion.)

Elegant solution for the blue thingy.
I must say, you are doing a fine job following along here! I failed to mention my motor side sprocket is 20t and friction drive sprocket is 16t. I designed around the assumption that I'd be able to get the motor up to 3K rpm. I should be right about 25MPH if I hit 3200.

Any tips on where to find a used series motor for cheap? I have a tight budget for this build and a new motor pretty much folds this one up.

Oh and by the way, the size of the rear wheel is irrelevant in this drive set up. The friction driver surface speed will match ground speed regardless of wheel size. I could have a 3" wheel and I'd have the same speed and acceleration characteristics. But I want the huge wheels so it's a smooth ride (saves me the trouble of coming up with a suspension). Plus, it looks more ludicrous. Wheels are from a Suzuki gsxr
MPS1982 is offline   Reply With Quote