View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #121
Will-versed
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Chevy Volt Lithium

One more addendum to this topic going back to my experience with the lithium_batteries vendor on eBay...

I had his older (top mount, not side mount) BMS's still around in my garage and intact, and was thinking about trying to sell them to recoup some of their $200 each cost. When I pulled them off their plastic mounts they turned out to be for Li-ion 12S 36V batteries, not 48V. He had glued them upside down, totally obscuring the labeling.

I did a little more research before contacting the vendor and learned that they are "cheap Chinese junk" (to quote him) modules manufactured by Daly in China and available in both 36V and 48V versions. They sell for about 20-25 bucks each. Maybe his 10x value-add is in the wiring module he adds?!

So I wrote him to ask why he mounted 36V BMS's on his 48V batteries, and here is his direct reply: "The BMS is stamped 36v but they are programmed for 48v from the factory. I have the factory assurance of that."

Maybe that is true, maybe not, but it sure raised some questions in my mind. Caveat Emptor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4990.jpg (170.3 KB, 0 views)
Will-versed is offline   Reply With Quote