View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12V reducer, Fuse Box and Bus Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
CV,

A lot of guys mounted the reducer on the flat, empty spot under the seat on the driver's side. I put mine on the same side but up on the splash guard of the rear wheel. That piece is plastic and, admittedly, I didn't read all of the directions. I believe the concern was heat, so I just elevated it off of the plastic with some bushings. I have mine on quite a bit and it dissipates heat easily this way. I was afraid it would get too wet and dirty on that lower part. My fuse block and bus bar are in the same area.

How you wire each accessory depends on how you want to operate it. From a 3 position key switch, regular switch? Maybe a combo of both?

You'll have a 12v out from the reducer to your fuse block and get the 12v to each accessory from a fused output there. My bus bar is tied to pack -, with each accessory having its own -.

I wanted to be able to run my accessories without the key on, so everything has its own switch on the dash. My switches are pretty, but weak, so I put relays in for each so I didn't chance burning them up. Minus the relay, just run power from the fuse , through the switch, and to the accessory. If you want power through the key switch, check the diagram or test the tabs for continuity in each position. I believe it must be a 3 position switch for that.

The Scottyb reducer has the remote trigger so it's not always on, which is a good thing. Mine is switched at the dash but lots of guys have the reducer come on with the key.

Again, if you want to use the key switch, figure out how it works. Also, put some good thought into how many accessories you may end up with and how exactly you want to use them, as far as turning them on/off. One more FYI-the memory power for the stereo has to be considered if you plan on having the reducer turn off. My stereo is brand new and stores stations without power to it, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Search this forum for "reducer " and you'll find a bunch of good information. Pay particular attention to posts by Sergio, Scottyb, cgtech, and sir nuke. There really smart guys I'm leaving out but I know these guys have responded to the reducer specifically.

Good luck, and be sure to post what you do. It helps the rest of us that are still trying to figure all of this out.

**Didn't mean to repeat anything from the above response. Looks like Marine types a bit faster than I do.
Lol, I type fast on my iPad. Always great to have more info.
hawmarine is offline   Reply With Quote