View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Ausco Rear Disc Brake install

You will need to adjust the cable lengths under the cart, forward, at the draw spring. I ran mine all the way out to make attaching the cables a bit easier. All pedal adjustments are now done right at this location, there are no adjustments on the calipers themselves.

I got the adjustment dialed in correctly on my second try. It stops firmly, straight, and the pedal is easy to modulate. I can lock the wheels on command, well before the hill brake engages.

I did have a clearance problem with the equipment. My 4 leaf HD springs are much thicker than normal, and this caused the cable return spring to obviously bind against the u-bolts. I solved this by removing the return spring and remounting it UNDER the actuator bar. Ausco has provided a second mount point, perhaps just for this scenario. It worked perfectly.

I also lost one of the brake cable clevis pins. I was very mad, considering i laid the tarp down just for that reason, but the little sukka disappeared anyway. Off to the local Ace Hardware for a replacement. It was too long to fit properly, so I had to modify it by cutting it to length and drilling a new hole in it for the cottter pin. Just try doing that on a 5/16" diameter pin without a drill press and a vise, LOL! ViceGrip Pliers to the rescue!

Another thing I noticed, all of the u-bolts that held my rear springs to the axle tubes were loose, VERY LOOSE. They haven't been touched since I installed the HD springs years ago. Check yours out each year, takes 5 minutes.

This is a good quality kit, very nicely machined and turned out. Gorno Approved!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote