View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Rebuilding a drive clutch. Why not?

I just got a different clutch installed today and my cart FINALLY pulls hills like it's supposed to! Man am I pumped after all that not riding my cart, it finally lives.

So I had my old drive clutch apart and I didn't know this, but the entire **** can comes off the thing exposing the guts in a way I've never seen. It's easy to see now why it was failing. The bushings around the rollers are destroyed and the holes are distorted, the pucks are worn down like a crescent moon type of profile, except the half of them that are missing, and one of the weights is worn down nearly 1/16 of an inch.

But I could fix this. As for the holes that are distorted, I could bore those for some oil impregnated bronze bushings to get the rollers back where they belong, the weight could be hardfaced with a TIG welder and filed back into shape. If I can't buy new pucks I could make some from Nylon. Yea, that triangular piece that holds the rollers and pucks is pressed, but I don't see that as much of an issue.

So what's the big deal? Why don't people rebuild them?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote