View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Battery Electrolyte Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Everytime I check and add distilled water to my battery pack, I am concerned about the correct level. I have most often heard on here about 1/4" above the lead plates, and that is where I have been trying to keep them.
US Battery recommends: Batteries should always be watered after charging unless plates are exposed before charging. If exposed, plates should be covered by approximately 1/8″ of electrolyte (add distilled water only). Check electrolyte level after charge. The electrolyte level should be kept 1/4″ below the bottom of the fill well in the cell cover. See attached picture for reference.

I found that when I tried to follow the US Battery recommendation, I had excessive acid pooling on the tops of some of my batteries after changing. My US batteries are 6 volt and equipped with Speed Caps (see attached image).

I now keep the electrolyte level about 1/4" ABOVE the plates (or best that I can estimate). There is now considerably less acid pooling after charging, but I find that I have to keep a closer eye on the electrolyte levels now with less fluid above the plates
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Battery - Fill Line.jpg (223.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg US Battery Speed Caps.jpg (300.1 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote