View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #4
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2009 precedent front end "clunk"?

I had an '08.5 Precedent, recently "upgraded" to a 2020 Tempo, and literally nothing is different on the suspension.

I had a similar issue on my '08, clunks and squeaks, drove me nuts. If the cart is that old and is new to you, the first and easiest thing to do is grease the service joints on the spindles - I found mine would creak and clunk when they're dry. Nothing special, I use grease I get at Lowe's and do a visual once/month. Easy to do yourself.

Bushings should be next - It's difficult to see that they're bad in the leaf springs, and if you do the work to pull springs to check them, may as well replace them. I found a very light coat of grease to install them quieted them down massively. Message TahoeDawgZ71 for the bushing kit. Super easy to do yourself. One thing to consider - the spindle bushings are press-in, so if they're bad or loose, when you drive, it will feel like a wheel is "bouncing" - big bumps will produce what feels like a big bounce. It's hard to explain but when you feel it, you'll know. I ended up just buying a front end from David (TahoeDawg) that was pulled to be replaced for a lift kit and that solved my problem.

Check your end links on the steering box, the silver links that hook into spindle. If the rubber boot is torn, they can get dirt and crud in them and produce "grainy" feels in the steering. You can get replacements on amazon fairly cheap - make sure you buy left hand and right hand versions, as the steering box threads are side-specific.

I did also replace my steering box, but to be honest with you, it was not a problem. Grease it and check, do the leaf springs bushings next and check, replace end links next and check, and if it's still not corrected, reach out to David at Revolution (TahoeDawgZ71) and see if he has some spindles laying around.

Last thing - in my experience, with use, these carts loosen up quite a bit - part of my monthly maintenance is to hit everything with a torque wrench and ensure that all bolts are torqued to spec - even my Tempo is sensitive to loose bolts.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote