View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
vetman1
Not Yet Wild

Default Range, Battery Level and Meter

I need some help with how much range I should expect with my Golf Cart. My setup is a 2008.5+ Club Car Precedent with new Trojan batteries (six 8 volt batteries). I use my cart around the neighborhood, but also on dirt roads and such while hunting. I also usually have my two little boys with me when I am riding so being stranded is not a very good option to consider.

I have Duro Desert tires on a six inch lift that I run about 7 psi in and my passenger weight runs about 370 lbs. I also carry about 50 lbs worth of emergency supplies and hunting accessories. My terrain is mostly flat with most of the dirt roads being relatively hard packed sand with some soft spots and mud.

I have one of the Datel battery meters from ScottyB installed and keep a print out of the battery charge chart on my cart at all times. I like the meter, but it does seem affected by ambient temperature and is difficult to understand when you are moving. I keep a GPS on my cart to record my distance traveled and average speed, etc.

Should I do my best to not run my batteries to less than 50% charge to prevent damaging them? It seems I have to let my cart sit for around 5-10 minutes
before I can get an accurate, steady readout from my battery meter.

Based on my cart setup and the terrain I travel while hunting what distance should I be able to travel? If I drive slower does that increase the distance I can travel on a full charge versus going faster for a shorter amount of time?

I really like my battery meter from ScottyB and this is not a knock on the meter or ScottyB as he has been extremely helpful in answering my questions. I have considered adding a second meter like a Curtis meter that shows a state of charge. Has anyone done this and if so what meter did you install? Would this be a waste of money?

Thanks,
Thomas Woods
vetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote