View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
You should continue to charge with the power drive as the batteries are designed for this type of charge, I would only use this after the initial charge.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have used and tested the Save-A-Battery units on 2 of my carts now. On my EZGO with 8 6volt batteries, it was used almost exclusively for 2 years without a problem. These were new batteries. I was concerned about not using the "big" charger so I called Granite Digital (the makers of this unit) with my concerns. I was able to have a 30 minute conversation with their chief engineer. I told him I was concerned about not using the regular charger, the batteries not gassing and leaving the acid stratified, and also equalization charging. He explained how the technology of pulse charging and his multistage unit works. He explained how the unit does indeed, from time to time, do an equalization charge. Also, in maintenance mode after full charge is achieved, the unit periodically sends pulse charges into the batteries to help breakup sulfation on the plates and to destratisfy the acid without heavy gassing. I was skeptical but have witnessed my DVM going from the normal after charge voltage of 54.4 to 58.6 for some time and then return to 54.4. The engineer explained that not only was it ok to charge our type batteries with his unit but it was highly recommended to leave it on the pack as long and often as possible to strengthen older batteries (my G29 pack is 2 years old) and extend the life of the pack. 2 years of experience with the EZGO and the past 4 months of increased pack strength in the G29 has proven to me that Granite Digital is telling me the truth. This unit can be used as a primary charger (if you are not in a big hurry to charge up---if you are, use your other charger) without harm and it is good for your batteries to leave it connected as long and often as possible.

And no---I am not on the payroll of Granite Digital. Just a very satisfied customer. I do not EVER recommend something to the forum that I have not researched to the best of my ability and have not tested completely.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote