View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: The CLONE engine setup & specs thread

Ok put some hours into the clone motor and good and bad news. Started off we cut the crank to 1 1/8" the minimum to fit the spacer or there was no way the recoil would fit in the cart. So we cut over 1.5" off or so, anyway put the adapter on the crank with no spacer, right on the shoulder and it mounted up just fine. Had to drill a lot and tap the crank too before cutting it.

So then made the mount, that was not too bad used 1.25" tubing to space the front down and laid 2x3/8 plates across to mount that way the oil can run out the plug in the center. Welded onto stock mounts, took a while to line up and drill new holes to mount motor/etc., but it went well and looks good. This put the rear on top of the stock mount and front 1.25 under it, retains the stock generator and rubber mounts for all of it. It ends up the motor is higher to clear the governor shaft on the trans, level the rear of the motor is slightly higher (its all higher because the stock motor hangs below the mounts). There is about .5" between the recoil and gas tank, but the air goes in under the recoil on the sides anyway. Turned the recoil upwards and it pulls ok from beside the cart. The rear holes near line up with the stock rear holes to fit stock belt, had to weld the new plates right over the old mount.

Then came the pita part, the carb is like <3" from the rear shock and this is cutting the crank off the max amount, so I don't know how others deal with this. After some engineering we finally stuck a 1.25 pipe nipple into the side of the stock airbox and will make a plate to replace the outer half of it. We plan to run 2" PVC above the carb then to the rubber hose and airbox out of a chevy cavilier we found for $10 at a boneyard lol. The hose may get pinched slightly against the large tube behind the seat and the motor on a big bump, but its like 3" should be fine. Will mount the box roughly above where stock one was but off of the frame not motor frame. Then going to run 2" pvc to the front of the cart hope it works for clean cool air without slowing it down.

Then on to the exhaust, found a small car muffler for $10 too that has a 13" case. Going to mount that behind the trans across for now and see what it does. Making a hack exhaust with 1.25 pipe 90s and little piece of flex pipe since the engine is on rubber and motor frame is not. May change this later going to look for a different muffler. He is getting the parts this week may try to get it done next weekend. Its full of oil ready to go, have to make the generator mount for the top yet but pretty simple, all belts seem to fit fine. Also going to try to fit a rod to run the choke off the stock choke cable on the throttle linkage I made. Took the governor shaft arm and cut it down, drilled it, made a plate to mount it and put it all above the fan housing. Have to look up the cart wiring in the manual and see if I can use a relay to jump the ignition. The motor seems to run like a lawn engine and kills it by grounding the ignition. However it is not wired like the manual says have to find out about that too can't find the rectifier...though I could use the key to run it and test it.

Going to leave the key in there so one could turn it on and run it non-stop I guess. Going to make little jumper wires to hook the positive and negative from the generator to the new motor.

What it really needs is an intake to move the carb, that is the sore spot with this deal. The stock filter is worthless for the massive dust that gets under our carts, and it will not fit anyway.

Before all that I took the side case off the motor and removed the governor. The shaft comes out tapped that for a plug or fuel pump. Had to press out the shaft in the side case to remove the gear/weight deal. Took it apart and pressed the pin back in, put it back together. It does have a balance shaft in it btw.

If we get lucky and it all works we might be pulling wheelies next weekend....lol. This cart does have a cut secondary on it otherwise stock and clutch is rebuilt and belts are near new.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote