View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: The CLONE engine setup & specs thread

Finished it up this weekend, put 10hrs into it on Sat. Yeah, not really wanting to swear on this thread but wow. Yeah its fun but sure took some time, figure roughly the pair of us have 4 full days into it but the next one would be much faster. Still have some issues to fix, the governor shaft hole blows oil into the fuel pump going to make a little separator for that and if that does not work will change to the intake. But have to drop the rear shocks loose and lower the engine frame to get at the carb mind you....even though its a pretty fast operation to do so. Piped the intake to the front with 2" pvc it worked well, you can still hear the carb growl out the pipe lol. The exhaust, well it turned out to be some little turbo muffler so its not that quiet it thumps like a 25hp single kohler, or half a quiet harley maybe. He likes it so far.

It seemed to run ok so off we went on a test run and it would not run past half throttle without some choke, jetting was way off. I hogged the jet many times, its something around .050" now and I think it needs a little more it still misses when you step on it cold. Thing has some power but seems to not have a bunch out of the hole, the stock clutch engages so low. However his brakes are pretty bad so I could not power brake it to see what it would do once it revved a little. After about 10' it takes off much better than stock. It does still lay down some on top end but didn't want to rev it really hard yet. I think it needs more timing, the intake and exhaust must flow well or it would not have needed so much jetting. I'll let it get broke in and see what I can do later, the gas tank comes right out to get at the flywheel. I had two people on it and turned at very slow speed and hit the gas, it spun the right tire no problem on dirt/gravel. I know the guy on that side is heavier than me he is easily 225lb. 22" trailpro tires. Response at 3-20mph is great, it takes right off even at 1/3 throttle. Above that it is not as strong but does climb better than stock.

The stock generator works great with it, I can tell you if you want to cheat you can get a recoil engine and use the generator. Just leave the engine key on and set the idle to not idle but die. It works like a normal cart, since the engine ignition is self powered it does not matter. I had the wrong relay going to put one on to ground the ignition and kill it when you let off the gas....can run it right off the cart wire that runs the ignitor and leave all the stock wiring right there. At least according to the diagrams it seems to work that way.

I could not find the rectifier so I have to test it and see if it has one in the block, does not appear to be in the key box. It does seem to have a wire for charging. I'll find out if it runs the battery down lol but did not seem to. The engine starter also works well, cranked it with that some when the fuel pump got plugged with oil. Alternately it looks like everyone mounts the pump above the engine and its not, the stock hose mounted under the cylinder down low on the yami engine. Have some photos to load, no video but did take one just starting the engine.

Another thing is it pops a couple times when you slow down, not loud or anything, but I have to find out how to mod the carb so I can set the idle mix. It has a plug or something, so I'd recommend checking all that out before you install as I can hardly get at the carb. Also have to cut part of the airbox rear off it has a thing to keep the float bowl from falling off or something, so to jet it I had to cut that off with a stanley knife.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote